An allergic reaction to jewelry usually occurs when your skin comes into contact with certain metals present in your jewelry or piercings. This reaction is commonly known as contact dermatitis, and its main symptom is a red, itchy rash.
How do you know if you’re allergic to jewelry?
You’ll usually see symptoms 12 to 48 hours after you come into contact with nickel. You may notice itching, redness, rash, dry patches, and swelling of the skin. Sometimes blisters follow. They may break, leaving crusts and scales.
What is the most common cause of an allergy to jewelry?
Jewellery allergy is a common cause of contact allergic dermatitis. Most jewellery allergy is caused by the metals nickel (see nickel allergy) and cobalt (see cobalt allergy) which is used in the manufacture of precious metal alloys.
Can you be allergic to real jewelry?
If you have a metal allergy, wearing your favorite piece of jewelry can cause an itchy rash called “allergic contact dermatitis.” “Nickel is the more common metal allergy, followed secondly by gold,” says Dr.
What does a metal allergy look like?
Signs and symptoms of metal hypersensitivities can range from small and localized to more severe and generalized. Limited reactions can appear as a contact dermatitis on the skin that has been exposed to the metal. The skin may appear red, swollen, and itchy. Hives and rashes may also develop.
What is the best jewelry for sensitive skin?
Platinum is a great metal to choose for those who have sensitive skin because it is naturally hypoallergenic! In the case of stainless steel, be sure that the jewelry is made from surgical stainless steel. This is pure steel and will be less likely to cause your skin problems.
Can I be allergic to sterling silver?
A silver allergy can produce a reaction called contact dermatitis, which includes symptoms such as swelling, rashes, or pain. Most of the time, these skin allergies are actually nickel allergies.
What metal jewelry is hypoallergenic?
Pure metals, such as 24K gold, sterling silver, fine silver, copper, titanium, and stainless-steel are considered hypoallergenic metals. They either do not contain nickel or contain trace amounts of nickel. So what makes jewelry hypoallergenic is the absence of nickel, generally speaking.
How do you get rid of nickel in your body?
There is no “cure” for nickel allergy, but avoidance of contact with the inciting object(s) often results in clearing of the rash. Treatments for contact allergies include lotions and creams, oatmeal baths, and other medications called topical corticosteroids that decrease inflammation.
Does 14k gold have nickel?
14k white gold for instance is a combination of 58.5% fine gold, 12% copper, 8% nickel, 6% zinc and 4.5% silver. The percentage and types of alloys used are different for each metal type. This breakdown is included below and can be useful for identify metal allergies.
Can you be allergic to 18k gold?
Any metal can cause an allergic reaction, even gold. Maybe you’ve heard someone advise, “Buy 18-karat gold because it’s pure and you can’t be allergic.” Not true. A gold allergy isn’t very common, but your body can still react to it if you’re allergic.
Can you be allergic to gold filled jewelry?
Jewelry containing nickel or gold can cause allergic contact dermatitis if a person has an allergy to these metals. It’s important to keep in mind that, even if your ring is gold, traces of nickel in the metal can trigger an allergic reaction.
How do you get tested for metal allergy?
Your doctor can usually diagnose nickel allergy based on your skin’s appearance, and a recent exposure to items that may contain nickel. If the cause of your rash isn’t apparent, however, your doctor may recommend a patch test (contact hypersensitivity allergy test).
How common are metal allergies?
The prevalence of metal allergy is high in the general population, and it is estimated that up to 17% of women and 3% of men are allergic to nickel and that 1-3% are allergic to cobalt and chromium. Among dermatitis patients, the prevalence of metal allergy is even higher.
Why does metal give me a rash?
When a person with a nickel allergy comes into contact with the metal, their immune system mistakenly believes that it is causing harm. The immune system produces a hormone called histamine in response. This can cause a rash to develop, as well as other symptoms.