An allergic reaction to jewelry usually occurs when your skin comes into contact with certain metals present in your jewelry or piercings. This reaction is commonly known as contact dermatitis, and its main symptom is a red, itchy rash. While this rash isn’t contagious or life-threatening, it can be very uncomfortable.
Why do I get a rash when I wear a necklace?
If earrings make your earlobes itch or your necklace leaves a rash around your neck, you may be allergic to nickel. It’s one of the most common skin allergies, in part because nickel is used in so many things, including jewelry, cell phones, coins, zippers, eyeglass frames, belt buckles, and keys.
How do you prevent Jewellery rash?
The best way to prevent a reaction is to wear jewelry that doesn’t irritate your skin. You can avoid gold jewelry altogether, or only wear 18 or 24 karat gold. Since the underlying cause is often a nickel allergy, though, you’ll probably need to avoid other types of jewelry as well. This includes costume jewelry.
How do you stop a necklace allergy?
3 Steps to Take if You Have a Jewelry Allergy
- Stop wearing the jewelry. If you suspect a particular piece of jewelry is causing a reaction, stop wearing it temporarily.
- Use a steroid cream. Apply a cortisone (or another anti-inflammatory steroid cream) to the rash to help it heal.
- Wear the jewelry again.
Why is my silver necklace giving me a rash?
A silver allergy can produce a reaction called contact dermatitis, which includes symptoms such as swelling, rashes, or pain. Most of the time, these skin allergies are actually nickel allergies.
How do you treat a necklace rash?
Treating an Allergic Reaction to Cheap Jewelry
- Remove the jewelry responsible for the allergy. …
- Apply a steroid cream on the surface of the rash to help it heal. …
- Emollient creams or soothing lotions such as calamine lotion, petroleum jelly, or mineral oil can help ease the itching.
Can jewelry make you break out?
Wool, stress, and oil-based products could be irritating your skin or causing you to break out. Hair products, jewelry containing nickel, and dirty phone screens may also impact your skin in a negative way. Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more great stories.
What is the best jewelry for sensitive skin?
Platinum is a great metal to choose for those who have sensitive skin because it is naturally hypoallergenic! In the case of stainless steel, be sure that the jewelry is made from surgical stainless steel. This is pure steel and will be less likely to cause your skin problems.
Why can’t I wear fake jewelry?
Sensitive skin can often lead to itchiness, rashes, and irritated skin when you wear fake jewelry – and no one wants that. You might have a metal allergy, or you just might be highly sensitive to metals, but that doesn’t answer the questions of how to wear fake jewelry?!
Why fake jewelry turns skin green?
Hidden copper inside metal jewelry is the most common reason your skin turns green. Costume jewelry labeled as being made of nickel and even pieces that are silver- or gold-plated often contain copper or copper alloys (a blend of metals that has copper as a component).
What does a nickel rash look like?
The skin allergic reaction to nickel looks like eczema. Signs and symptoms include an itchy rash with redness, swelling, scaling and possibly a crusty appearance. The rash generally appears on the area of the skin that comes into contact with the metal.
How long does contact dermatitis last?
Contact dermatitis usually occurs on areas of your body that have been directly exposed to the reaction-causing substance — for example, along a calf that brushed against poison ivy or under a watchband. The rash usually develops within minutes to hours of exposure and can last two to four weeks.
Can nickel allergy go away?
Once it has developed, a nickel allergy is unlikely to go away. The only way to treat a nickel allergy is to avoid all items and foods containing nickel.
Is sterling silver allergy free?
Is sterling silver hypoallergenic? Sterling silver jewelry is often hypoallergenic. Sterling silver is an alloy containing mostly silver in addition to other metals that add strength to pure silver. Some sterling silver is nickel-free and some is not.
Does sterling silver react with skin?
Safety for Sensitive Skin: sterling silver is a 100% non-reactive metal which can be put in direct contact with your skin without producing adverse reactions.
How do you get rid of a metal allergy?
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Use soothing lotions, such as calamine lotion, which may ease itching.
- Moisturize regularly. Your skin has a natural barrier that’s disrupted when it reacts to nickel and other allergens. …
- Apply wet compresses, which can help dry blisters and relieve itching.